Monday, March 18, 2019

Monday's Poetry: "I am a Muslim"

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

This past week the world watched in horror as a self-righteous lunatic opened fire on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, and killed fifty individuals as they were praying.  At least twenty more are hospitalized with serious wounds, some of which are life-threatening.  The young man who committed this atrocity managed to post some of the shooting on the internet as it happened, and he also posted a lengthy (and rambling) white nationalist manifesto that acknowledged what he deemed to be the white nationalist leanings of Donald Trump.

The shooter survived and apparently plans to act as his own lawyer in court, thus setting the stage for more of his racist declarations.

Conscientious leaders and citizens from around the world immediately stepped forward to stand in solidarity with Muslims - the targets of the New Zealand attack - much as they did with other attacks conducted at houses of worship including the synagogue attack in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, last October and the massacre at a black baptist church in Charlotte, South Carolina, four years ago.  All of those attacks terminated the lives of innocent people as they were in prayer communicating with their God.

Today's poetry selection speaks to being a Muslim, or a follower of the Islamic faith, but it also reaches across a wide swath of religions to connect the humanity and emotions shared by the various peoples of the world - regardless of how they worship.  This week we all need to identify with the world's Muslims, and we need to be horrified and repulsed by the hatred that was loosed on our brothers and sisters in New Zealand - just as they have bravely stood by others when their houses of worship were attacked by the dark and violent forces of hate.


I Am a Muslim
by Anonymous

I am a Muslim 
And God I praise 
For all his blessings 
My voice I raise 
In one God I believe 
No equal has He 
Lord of the universe 
Compassionate to me 
Muhammad the Prophet 
Taught me the way 
To be honest and truthful 
Throughout everyday 
The Holy Qur'an 
To life is my guide 
Its teachings I follow 
By it I abide 
Islam is my religion 
Preaches good deeds 
Mercy and Kindness 
To the right path it leads 
Upon all humanity 
God showers his grace 
Regardless of colour 
Nationality or race 
Through working together 
Our hopes increase 
To live in a world 
Full of love and peace 
Full of love and peace 
I am a Muslim 
And God I praise 
For all His blessings 
My voice I raise

No comments: