Monday, December 31, 2018

Pre-Daylight Drama in Rogers, Arkansas

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

I am finally back from my overnight outing to northwest Arkansas.  My intention was to have been back several hours earlier than this, but you know what they say about good intentions.

Yesterday was really nice.  I made it to Miss Patti's earlier than expected, and then she and I went to my nephew's house, which is fairly close to hers, and had a nice afternoon visit with my sister and her kids and some of her grandkids.  Later Patti and I went out to eat and then stopped by her sister's house, also nearby, for dessert.

This morning I had arranged to go from Rogers, Arkansas, to Fayetteville to see my sister's new place - and go out to breakfast.  It was cold, dark, and rainy when I left Patti's, and before I had gone five miles I missed a turn and found myself on the cobblestone streets of downtown Rogers.  I called my sister to try and figure out how to get back on the right road, and while we were talking I ran over a curb or a very large rock that had a noticeable impact on the way my car was performing.  I told my sister that I had wrecked the car -  and then slowly drove it back and parked on Main Street - where the tow truck could easily find me.

I got out and looked the car over - in the dark and in the cold rain - and it looked as though the tires were okay - and I could see no obvious damage.  Gail called her youngest son, the one who lives in Rogers, and he and his visiting sister from Chicago swooped in to help their shaken-up old uncle.  By the time they arrived, the front tire on the driver's side was flat with obvious damage.  My nephew and my niece's husband worked tirelessly to find the spare - I had not used it in the six years that I've owned the car, and doubted that it even had one - but there was a spare.  Sad to say, though, none of the three of us had the right equipment to change the tire, so we called an emergency roadside assistance person who made the swap.

That was followed by a nice breakfast that my nephew's wife prepared - while two new tires were being put on at a local Firestone store - and instead of getting home around noon as planned - one of those good intentions that pave the road to Hell, I made it back about three-thirty this afternoon.

Rosie visited with my relatives in a nice warm home during all of the commotion - and she had a wonderful time!

Thank you Reed, Jamie, Heidi, Jason, and Gail for helping to get Uncle Rocky back on the road.  I love you all!

This is New Year's Eve - so, if you don't have to be out, pop some corn, crank up Netflix, and stay inside by the fire!    2019 is going to be amazing - trust me on that!

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Glad you are safe and these difficulties were relatively minor.