Saturday, February 8, 2014

"Ain't Misbehavin'" Gets the Joint a-Jumpin'!

by Pa Rock
Theatre Fan

Of all of the theatrical performances that I have seen during my few years in Phoenix, "Ain't Misehavin'," currently playing on the main stage of the Phoenix Theatre, was far and away the best!  A small cast of five individuals and a rocking house band presented the songs Fats Waller and brought Harlem of the early twentieth  century to life on the stage.

The cast, incomparable all, included Brittney Mack, Andre Jordan, Katherine Todd, Walter Belcher, and Fredena J. Williams.  Each was strong of voice and fleet of foot.   They were decked out in beautiful costumes with lots of vivid colors, and danced and sang their way across a set that was truly a work of art.   And the band was amazing - featuring a piano player who should have his own holiday!  It was obvious that everyone on the stage was having a great time, and the fun swept off of the stage and across the audience!  The joint was jumpin'!

"Ain't Misbehavin'" runs through February 16th.  It makes for a great evening out in downtown Phoenix!

(Note:  My first experience with the Phoenix Theatre was when my daughter and I went to see "Altar Boyz" in the winter of 2007 - another really good show.  Sadly, "Ain't Misbehavin'" will be my last as I prepare to head into retirement in the Ozarks.  In between those two, I have seen some truly fine shows in Phoenix.  I won't miss Phoenix, but I will definitely have regrets about no longer having access to all of the Valley's wonderful theatrical venues.)


No comments: