Sunday, January 12, 2014

X Minus Forty-Seven and Counting

by Pa Rock
Transient

I now have less than seven weeks of time left in the Arizona desert - and less than seven weeks of employment.  Retirement has been decades in coming, but now that it is almost here, the time is rushing by.

The packing is getting tedious, with piles of boxes springing up in the rooms of my little house like mushrooms sprouting on the forest floor.  For the most part I am using stackable, plastic cartons that can be easily stored after the more is complete.  I have used them before and know that some will inevitably break during the drive back to Missouri - but even with the propensity for breakage, they are still much handier and easier to use than their cardboard cousins.

I saw a commercial the other day that said the average person moves a dozen times during his lifetime.  I haven't counted my moves, though a dozen does sound about right - but it is such a great feeling knowing that this will more than likely be my last move.  The next time my stuff gets transported will be when my kids put it out on the yard and the auctioneer sends it all away to new homes.

The older I get, the less fond I am of "stuff!"

1 comment:

Don said...

Welcome to the ranks of the wonderfully retired!
I'm sure you'll find something you're passionate about and proceed to re-create your life.