Friday, January 17, 2014

Look for the Union Buttons at PDX!

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

Almost every day I get email invitations to sign on-line petitions, and while I realize they essentially do no good whatsoever, if it is an issue with which I agree - I add my name to the list of outraged citizens.

Today I received one that particularly caught my attention.  A security officer at the Portland, Oregon, airport (PDX) said that he and some coworkers were given "written discipline" for wearing "small buttons" supporting their union - the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).  The man's email contained a sample letter and talking points for a letter of support that would be forwarded to the company director of the security contractor which employees him.

Being a good union supporter like my very good friend - City Councilman Chad Manspeaker of Topeka - I put my e-signature on the petition / letter.  I will be in the Portland Airport tomorrow morning on a trip to visit my Oregon grandchildren, and I would like to think that the security officers I encounter there will not be feeling stressed due to an obvious denial of their First Amendment right to free speech.

Also, the Portland Airport used to be a beacon of tolerance.  Three years ago as I traversed their terminal I encountered a security officer wearing a turban.  Seriously!  And now some petty bureaucrat is getting all twisted and dictatorial over a union button?  My, how the mighty have fallen!

Lighten up, Portlandia!  Live up to your reputation!

No comments: