Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sayonara Tokashiki

by Pa Rock
Cultural Explorer


It is Sunday evening here on Okinawa and the sun is setting over the East China Sea - somewhere out over China.  My friends and I got home within the hour, and beautiful Tokashiki is at peace once more!  They snorkeled, I read, and we all walked the beautiful beaches and explored the side streets and alleyways of the small town where the port was located.

One of the highlights of the trip was the mango and ice drinks that we bought at a little sidewalk stand.  The concoctions consisted of shaved ice, mango juice, more shaved ice, and a topping of fresh mango chunks.  They looked like something out of a glossy gourmet magazine and were delicious!  I'll post a picture on my Okinawan blog - hopefully tomorrow.

There were lots of Americans on Tokashiki this holiday weekend.  Some stayed at the hotel where we were - Marine Village, and others stayed in small guest houses or camped out.  We saw several people that we knew from Kadena.

Yoron started the summer, and Tokashiki ended it - and I would jump at the chance to do either again!

No comments: