Thursday, September 22, 2011

Flying Home!

by Pa Rock
World Traveler


It is Friday, the twenty-third of September, around six a.m. on the island of Okinawa.  In fifteen minutes or so my friend, Valerie, will drive me to the airport in Naha where I will begin my first trip back to the United States since arriving on Okinawa on the 22nd of July, 2010.  I will fly to the Haneda Airport in Tokyo, catch an expensive shuttle bus to the Narita Airport, and then fly non-stop to Dallas-Ft. Worth - and from there on to Kansas City where I will be met by my son, Tim, and his lovely wife Erin.

Today is Tim's thirty-second birthday.  Surprisingly, it will still be his birthday many hours later when I land in Kansas City because my flight will have crossed over the International Date Line while enroute.

I am taking a notebook computer along for the ride, but the uncertainty of Wi-Fi connections in various locations where I will be - and my extra-busy schedule - means that this space may occasionally go empty over the next few weeks.  I will be back in Japan on October 15th, and things will quickly - too quickly, I am sure - get back to normal.

I hope to see some of you in the States!


No comments: