Monday, January 14, 2008

Calgon, Take Me Away!

I’ve been hooked up with a gym here in Goodyear for a few weeks. The one feature that I really hoped to find while I was gym-shopping was an indoor walking track, something that I enjoyed immensely when I was a member of the YMCA in Kentucky. But, alas, indoor walking tracks don’t seem to be in fashion in Arizona. It’s hard to understand why that is, because it gets so damnably hot here in the summer that anyone with an IQ higher than that of a doorknob or Bill O’Reilly wouldn't even consider walking outside between May and October!

So, I have been relegated to doing my indoor walking on a treadmill. I haven’t subjected this to scientific inquiry yet, but I am quickly developing the notion that a mile on a treadmill is a lot harder, and perhaps considerably farther, than a mile of walking around and around a track. It certainly seems that way!

The rest of my new gym is basically nothing out of the ordinary, with one notable exception being the pools and spas, of which there are two each – and they are enormous! After hitting a couple of weight machines yesterday and beating myself half-to-death on the treadmill, I decided to try out one of the spas. I was expecting it to be a relaxing experience, maybe a nice respite for ten minutes or so. But the roaring, swirling waters carried me away to a place I hadn’t been in a long, long, time, and before I realized it, a half-an-hour had slipped away and I really had no desire to get out. I left those magic waters reluctantly, feeling a sense of calm beyond any easy description.

And today, twenty-four hours later, that sense of calmness is still with me. I feel wonderful! I will continue my regular treks to the gym, and pay necessary homage to the treadmills and stationary bikes and weight machines, but now I will do so knowing that they are only minor hardships on the pathway to nirvana.

The day will certainly diminish me, but the spa awaits for rejuvenation!

Shalom!

No comments: