Saturday, July 31, 2021

The Chickens Have Crossed the Road!


by Pa Rock
Farmer in Summer

I have been very proud of two things this summer, the fact that I have kept all of my outdoor plants alive during this July sizzle, and the health and stability of my chicken flock.

Both outdoor endeavors, the plants and the chickens, benefited initially from the mild spring and early summer, and the abundant rains, but for the past several weeks we have been in the throes of a real summer and, for the most part, baking under the July heatwave.  The rain quit falling and the growth of the grass slowed - giving me a much needed rest from the mower, but at the same time the temperature began shooting up, sometimes hitting the three-digit mark, and that created a whole new set of chores and things to worry about.

For the past couple of weeks I have been a lot more focused on making sure the outdoor plants and the chickens survive.  As the temps started rising and the rains quit falling, I began carrying water to all of the flower and vegetable baskets every other evening just before sundown.   That quickly proved to be insufficient, and I increased the bucket brigade to every evening.   Now, for the past couple of days I am carrying water morning and evening - and not just to the plants in containers, but to the young trees as well.

The work with the chickens has also increased due to the heat.  During rainy times I keep a few pans out on the yard to catch and retain rainwater for the farm fowl - and the cat - and the many neighborhood birds.  Then, as the rains quit falling, I began carrying water to those pans.  At first I just had to top them off, but the heat quickly impaired the quality of the water, so I had to start emptying the pans, wiping them out, and refilling them on a daily basis.

Oh for some cool weather and the occasional shower!

I have been proud of all of my outdoor plants and feathered friends for surviving July.  We are supposed to see a break in the weather tomorrow, at least lower temperatures and a "chance" of rain, so with that I should be able to spend less time carrying water and devote more time to giving the yard a good mow - which it is starting to need.

But there are always things to worry about at my sylvan dell.  

This morning I happened to look out the window and notice that Ralph and his seventeen wards had crossed the street and were hunting bugs in my neighbor's yard.    I've dubbed the street out in front of my house the "Indianapolis 500," and with good reason.   The hillbillies roar up and down this road so fast that it's a wonder they don't become airborne!

And I suspect that more than a few of them would try to hit a chicken.

I will have a stern talk with Ralph and his family later today, but I am doubtful that they will heed my sage advice.

Oh for the relaxing days of autumn!

Be gone, July!

1 comment:

Ranger Bob said...

I always enjoy hearing about Ralph and the kids.