Thursday, July 8, 2021

Hello, Oregon!

 
by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

I made it onto the plane in Spokane - after seeing more of the local scenery than I had intended - and took a forty-five minute flight to Portland.  The flight attendants barely had time to serve us one small bottle of water on the flight and collect the empties before we could feel the plane descending into Portland.   The only other thing of note on the flight was a spectacular view of Mt. Hood.

I flew in on Alaska Airlines.  Its check-in counter and boarding gates were the farthest from the rental car return in Spokane, and the farthest from the baggage carousels in Portland.  It was 1,387 steps from my seat on the plane to the baggage claim carousel at Portland International - but who's counting!

My daughter and her oldest son were at the airpot to pick me up, and we had a nice visit on the ride to her home in Salem.  Molly's son, Sebastian, turned fourteen this past Monday, and he kept the conversation going.  I visited with all of the kids at Molly and Scott's house and then checked into my hotel this afternoon.  The grandkids will be coming by in a while to enjoy the hotel pool!

Salem is the capital of Oregon.  I mentioned in a tweet earlier today that I would take in a quick visit to the Capitol building if I could get one of the legislators to come down and let me in.   Perhaps some rebellious state representative or state senator could prop a door open for me!

Salem had Phoenix heat last week, but today it is fairly pleasant.  I believe Governor Kate Brown deserves credit for the improvement in the weather.  Kate, you rock!

No comments: