Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Hello Sandpoint!

 
by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

As I mentioned in this space yesterday, the first leg of my trip West was unexpectedly pleasant because I had a row (of two seats) to myself on the flight from Kansas City to Salt Lake - with no neighbors to cough on me, try to tell me their life stories, or constantly ask me to stand up so they could go to he bathroom.  The experience of flying solo was great, but I doubted that it would ever happen again.

But it did.

Yesterday afternoon we were finally shuffled onto a substitute plane that flew from Salt Lake City to Spokane, Washington - almost two hours late - and again it was nearly full - and again I somehow managed to score a row (of three seats) where I was the only passenger.  I'm not sure what brought all of this flying luck, but I accepted my good fortune gracefully - and gratefully.

From the airport in Spokane it was less than two hours to the Sandpoint, Idaho, area - my ultimate destination.  I rented a car - and rentals are ridiculously high right now - for the drive over to Idaho.  The drive was simple, but the traffic around Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, was crazy - not northwest Arkansas crazy, but crazy nonetheless.

Cousin Joyce and I connected after I made it into the Sandpoint.  We enjoyed a wonderful meal and lots of pleasant conversation on her front porch, and then took a stroll along the lake.  She lives in a beautiful location in one of the hamlets surrounding the tourist mecca of Sandpoint.  Today we will be going for a drive around town, through the historic district, along the lake, and up into the mountains.  The area is rich in scenic natural beauty.

And for any of our cousins who might be reading this, Joyce is still rich in natural beauty as well, and I still look like the debris that is left after a glacier melts.  It's hard to believe that we are both still hovering around forty-five! 

Early tomorrow I will return the rental car to Spokane and fly off to Oregon.  I guess a row of seats to myself would be a bit too much to hope for!

No comments: