Sunday, June 21, 2020

Some Thoughts from a Father

by Pa Rock
Son, Father, Grandfather

Today is Father's Day, a fairly recent addition to the United States spectrum of holidays.  It began being celebrated sporadically in this country in 1913, and in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday of June as an annual day to honor fathers.  President Richard Nixon made it an official holiday in 1972, so "officially" the American holiday for honoring fathers is less than half-a-century old.

My father has been gone more than ten years now.  He had two children and lived long enough to see all seven of his grandchildren reach adulthood.  Dad was a hard worker and a good provider.  He grew up in rural poverty during the Great Depression, became the first member of his family to graduate from high school, and served his country in the Second World War.  Having spent his youth trapped in the dire straits of poverty, he had an appreciation of money and saw the accumulation of wealth as the one true measure of success.  And he loved his children, and grandchildren, and the six great-grandchildren who were already part of the family by the time he passed away at the age of eighty-five.

But the most important fathers in my life right now are the three young men who bear the responsibility of raising my grandchildren.

Scott, in Oregon, is married to my daughter, Molly, and they are the parents of two boys, Sebastian (12) and Judah (10), and young Willow who is eight-years-old.  Scott has a full-time job but still manages to be an active parent and help with household duties.  Among other things, he is very involved in grocery shopping, meal-planning, and cooking.

Tim, in Kansas, represents the family's creative spark.  He works hard as a stay-at-home parent where he also runs an independent business and writes constantly.  Two of his screenplays have been made into full-length motion pictures. and two of his short stories have been made into independent short films.  And with all of that, he is an active father to Olive, age eight, and four-year-old Sullivan.  When things pile up for Tim, stopping to play with the kids is always the priority.

Nick, my oldest, lives here in West Plains with me.  His only child, a son named Boone, is twenty-one now and a junior in college - so the immediacy of parenting is beginning to fade for Nick, but parenting remains an obligation that never completely goes away - and Nick and Boone both know that the father-son bond is forever.

If I ever had doubts as to the strength of the tie between parents and children, those were put to rest six years ago when I underwent major heart surgery in Phoenix.  I had my grown children at my side before, during, and after that very scary experience.   Then, several weeks ago when I fell and broke my arm, the story would have likely taken a very sad turn if not for the presence of Nick who stepped in and took over.  Nick rolled up his sleeves and took charge of the mowing, caring for the new baby chicks, managing the dogs and cats, grocery shopping, meal preparation, and even some personal chores like helping me get my socks on and getting into my device that stabilizes the broken arm.  On those rare times when I have to go to town, he drives me - and if I have medicines to pick up, he does that as well.  All of that, and he vacuums and keeps the house presentable!

Nick has been a true lifesaver, and this "father" appreciates him beyond measure on this Father's Day - and always!

My hope is that all of you other Dads have been as fortunate as me.  Let's all enjoy our big day!

No comments: