Monday, December 9, 2019

The Bird Feeder

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

One of the projects that I have managed to complete during the brief snatches of decent weather over the past couple of weeks is to get my bird feeders set up.   Last year I had the tree removed that had held my feeders, so this year I had to come up with something different.

The tree stump was still there, occupying space in front of my living room window, right where I desired the feeders to be.   I brought in a couple of those long metal poles with hooks on the end for hanging baskets or hanging bird feeders and drove them into the ground next to the stump.  Then I drug out several decorative blocks that had been stacked behind the house serving no purpose - and made a large ring around the stump and he feeder poles.  I covered that space with white gravel.

Next came the old bird bath which I cleaned, and it now sits atop the tree stump in the middle of the display.  The bird bath features a couple of garden gnomes.  I also had some metal garden gnomes scattered around which are now part of the project .

Finally, three unique and very distinct bird feeders hanging from the hooks - all filled with hen scratch and sunflower seeds.  The little birds began showing up the very next morning!

I built it and they came!

The birds and I are ready for winter!

The Bird Feeder
by Patrick Kain

Crowded 'round the feeder . . . winter guests, both large and small,
jockeying for position, one for one, not one for all.
Winter winds have dealt them, yet another unkind blow,
with seed pods hidden safely, 'neath the deep and drifting snow.
A proud and stately redbird, ruffled feathers, fiery bright,
a sparrow, finch, and titmice, stoking heavily for the night.
Comes a jay in bright attire, casts a cold unnerving stare,
then rousts his small competitors, until he's had his fare.
A grackle, uninvited, bullies in to claim his due,
scatters seed about him, scowls at others 'til he's through.
A squirrel approaches warily, a glance-first left, then right,
then scampers up the feeder post, sends perchers into flight.
A chickadee approaches with a hope for seeds quite small,
shuns others bickering on the rails, he'll feast on that which falls.
Finally, lengthening shadows, beggars scatter to the woods,
hopes buoyed for a tomorrow, for today, their God was good.

No comments: