Monday, September 30, 2019

Jackets, Encyclopedias, and Games of Skill

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

I was very careful in double-checking everything as I left the house last Thursday morning, wanting to make absolutely certain that I didn't forget anything.  And I was almost successful.  It wasn't until I was about a hundred miles from home that I realized that I had forgotten the light jacket that I intended to take.

Oregon was having some unusually cold weather when I arrived, and, in fact, yesterday was the coldest September day in the Portland area since 1948.  My first day here I borrowed a jacket from my son-in-law, and yesterday I finally found one at Costco which suited me so well that I bought it.  Of course, in a couple of days I will be in San Diego, and I am certain that I won't need a jacket there.  (But I'm sure that I will be glad to have it when I get back to Kansas City next weekend.)

We went to a large new-and-used bookstore in Salem yesterday morning.  One of the things that I learned while we are there is that my grandson, Judah, is a big fan of "Garfield."   Judah is also a car guy, and it turns out that he is an interest in NASCAR.

I have been thinking lately that I would like to have an old set of encyclopedias, more for historical value than as reference material.  When I was in high school - at an extremely small school - I was occasionally in "study hall" with nothing to do, and I would pull down a volume of one of our school's few sets of encyclopedias and just browse and read things that caught my interest.   I have often thought that I would like to be able to relive that experience on days when time allows it.

So I was really pleased yesterday at the book store when I came across a very nice set of Encyclopedia Britannica (24 volumes) from 1953.  The set was reasonably priced, and I was almost ready to pull the plastic and make the purchase, but then I knocked my head against the hard reality of how to get them home?  Now I have backed off and am just sort of thinking about it.  The clerk did tell me that encyclopedias tend not to be fast movers at their store, so I will probably let them sit until my next visit - and then, if they are still there, I will realize that they are destined to be in my rural Missouri home.

Willow and Sebastian and I played Candyland yesterday afternoon.  Willow won.  Then she and I played a game of checkers - and Willow won that game, too!  Today Judah has a day off from his school, so he and I will spend some time together - and it will probably involve cars!

The Oregon portion of the trip is going very well!


No comments: