Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Walking Ends, the Flying Begins

by Pa Rock
Ancient Traveler

This past June I was in the hospital a couple of days with illness due to a tick bite.  That tick, although tiny by comparison to most other creatures of the wild, proceeded to knock the crap out of me.  It took several weeks before I felt that I was beginning to get my strength back.

One way that I gauge my energy level is through the number of steps that I walk each day - as measured by a pedometer that I wear on my wrist.  On a good day I walk 10,000 or more steps.  When I hit that mark, the pedometer issues a buzz and a picture of a trophy.  After my encounter with the tick, it took awhile to get back to the 10,000 range.  Finally, in the last week of July I hit that goal - and determined to see how long I could keep up that pace.

Yesterday marked the 60th day in a row that I hit 10,000 - with several of those even being above 11,000, and one in excess of 13,000.  Most days that involved a trip to the local park where I stomped hard to keep the record going.   One day, when I spent part of a day on the mower and it rained for much of the rest of the day, I had to do 3,000 steps inside of my small house to keep the streak going - so it has been a continual struggle!

This morning I suspect that my walking streak has come to an end.  Soon I will be in the car for a long drive to Kansas City, and tomorrow I will be flying to Portland, Oregon, and then driving down to the state's capital, Salem, to visit grandchildren.  After a few days in Oregon I will be flying on to San Diego for a visit with Aunt Mary and her daughters, Linda and Janet, and to see my friend Valerie who lives in Hawaii but will be in San Diego for a class.  When I return to Kansas City the following weekend, Tim and his family and I plan to visit the Renaissance Festival just prior to its closing for the season.

Busy times, but limited time for walking.   Winter is coming, so I need to slow it down a bit anyway!

Notes from the road to follow!

No comments: