Sunday, April 7, 2019

Arrivals

by Pa Rock
Host with the Most (Cats)

Yesterday morning well before daylight when I made my regular trip out back to open the chicken coop and to give the cats their breakfast, all three cats were prancing around and ready to chow down.  I have had three farm cats, Fiona, the matriarch, and two toms, one from each of her first two litters.  She has one litter a year, always in the spring, and yesterday morning this year's group was still in the oven - although she has looked overdue for the past couple of weeks.

When I went out yesterday evening just before dark to close the chicken coop and give the cats their supper, all three, mom and the two boys, showed up again, but this time Fiona was deflated and looked as though she had had a rough day.  And she was very, very hungry.  So there is a group of newborn kitties in seclusion somewhere around the farm, and in a few more days I will probably get some sense of where the protective mother has hidden her new family.

No sooner had I determined that the farm family here at Rock's Roost had expanded than my good friend Murphy pulled into the drive for his first visit to the farm in nearly three years.  Daniel Murphy is a psychologist with whom I worked on Okinawa for two years from 2010 to 2012.  While we were there we had many adventures and explored much of the Far East together.  He spent several days at The Roost visiting from Okinawa shortly after I moved here five years ago, and the in the fall of 2016 he came here for a few days from his new assignment near Tokyo in Japan.  Our mutual friend, Valerie, also came from her new job in Hawaii and joined us during that autumn Ozark respite.

Now Daniel is semi-retired and drove over from Indianapolis where he has dropped his own anchor after leaving Asia.  He will be here for a few days enjoying the calm farm life and then head north to visit other friends in the St. Louis area.

That was my yesterday here at the farm, a day filled with arrivals.   We shall have a few days of visiting and catching up on old times - and perhaps finding the new kittens - and then, all too soon, Daniel will have left, the new kittens will be underfoot, and Pa Rock will be back to mowing.  (The neighbors tried to shame me by starting their spring mowing this weekend, but too bad for them because I have no shame!)

But I do have plenty of cats - and will deliver nationwide!

No comments: