Sunday, December 28, 2014

Farming in Winter

by Pa Rock
Rural Kibitzer

There is always plenty to do on a farm, but less of it seems to get done in the winter than in any other season.   Farmers, at least the ones I know, tend to spend most of their time in coffee shops complaining about the weather, the price of feed, and politics.  Because I am new to the community and haven't earned my seat at the gossip table in the local coffee shop yet, I spend my down time at the computer, reading, or watching the idiot box.

My satellite provider, Direct TV, is overpriced and offers squat in its basic package.  I will be dropping its service when my contract matures in March - and sooner if they piss me off.  When that happens, I will get routed to one of their high pressure hoses sales people who will offer me all kinds of "customer loyalty" specials to renew my relationship with the greedy corporation - but I won't buy into their specials.  (If Direct TV gave a damn about keeping me, they would be coughing up those specials now - in the dead of winter - when programming is the pits.

My new goal will be to get a decent internet provider with unlimited service and start using that medium to get movies and television programs.  I have, over the past couple of years, also established a good collection of DVDs that will see me through the rough patches.  (My collection includes everything from The Muppet Shows and the complete Rocky and Bullwinkle to every episode of Northern Exposure and Deadwood.   Direct TV can go suck an onion - because I will survive without their "service."

I am weaning myself off of television by trying to watch something on DVD every evening.  (And besides, there is only so much NCIS and Criminal Minds that a body can stand!)  My current project is the first two seasons of Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.   They are only producing three episodes a year, but those shows are some of the smartest and best to ever come across the public airwaves.  When I finish with Sherlock, there is a stack of old black and white Charlie Chan movies on deck.

It is early afternoon here in the Ozarks and Pa Rock is headed outside to feed and water his chickens and peacocks.  While he works he will also complain to himself about the weather (cold and cloudy - for days now!), the price of feed, the right-wing nut jobs who think they speak for America, and the crappy offerings of satellite and cable television providers.

Farming is complicated, but somebody has to do it!

No comments: