Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Parking Spot in Phoenix

by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

On those occasions when I travel out of town by air, I leave my car at the Parking Spot in Phoenix - a commercial "park and fly" that transports me from my vehicle to the airline gate at Sky Harbor Airport.  When I return, I hop on one of their shuttles and am delivered back to my car.  It is a nice service, but one that can become rather pricey if I am away from the city for several days.The last time I was out of town, I even paid the Parking Spot to have my car freshly washed upon my return - nothing like arriving home in style!

When my friend Murphy arrived in June for a visit, I decided to park there and shuttle to the airport to pick him up.  I paid for a full day of parking, but it wasn't much more than what a couple of hours at the airport lot would have been - and it was a lot less hassle.

Friday when I went to get Tim and his family at the airport, I again stopped at the Parking Spot.  They gave me a copy of USA Today to read on the ride over to the airport.  When I came back with the family in tow a couple of hours later, they gave us each a bottle of water for the hot trip home in rush hour traffic.  After studying my parking ticket, the guy at the booth decided that we shouldn't be charged for a full day, and just let us slide in for free.

It was a very nice gesture.  The Parking Spot has made lots of money off of me over the years, but that courtesy last Friday made me feel that it had all been money well spent - with nice folks!

2 comments:

molly. said...

I love hearing stories like this. Generous people help others not only in their generosity but also in offering them a new way of thinking. We're all going to die someday, why not spread a little happiness while you're here.

molly. said...

I just came across this quote, "Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca