Sunday, December 30, 2012

Too Many Trips Around the Sun!

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

Every now and then I have one of those eye-opening experiences that let me know just how old I have become.  Today, as an example, I was at the local Best Buy picking up a printer-cartridge when I sidled up to the music section and started going through the CD's.   Not being overly knowledgeable in modern music, I soon found myself digging through the music of the older artists - those of my generation - and, as luck would have it, most of those CD's are in the bargain racks.

Some of what I found there was not surprising.  Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits at just $4.99 - great music, but poor Patsy has been operating out of the discount bins since I was in college.   The Best of Liza Minnelli, still great music, was also no surprise at $4.99, nor was the other senior diva, Cher, whose collection was priced a bit higher at $6.99.  The Four Tops had a nice collection on sale for $4.99, and The Mamas and the Papas also had a CD of songs that everybody knows priced at $6.99.

And none of those things surprised me, but when I came to Simon and Garfunkel's wonderful album, Bookends, for just $4.99 I was scandalized.  Don't these cretins know anything about music, I wondered.  One of the best albums in the history of modern music literally being given away while collections of young tattooed artists yelling bad poetry go for three times that amount.  Civilization, I realized, was dying!

I stood there for a few minutes giving my blood pressure time to settle back down - and then moved on.  My next discovery was a live performance of the Moody Blues at the Royal Albert Hall with the World Festival Orchestra.  Again, $4.99!

Fortunately, or unfortunately as the case may be, I already had most of the music that I sorted through today - bought in a different time for considerably more money.  I did walk out with the Moody Blues live album, but am somewhat resentful that I got it on the cheap.

Time marches on, I suppose - but I plan to kick back with my iPod and ignore this rush into the future as best I can.



No comments: