Saturday, December 12, 2009

Katrina Vanden Heuvel Told Me Where to Go!

by Pa Rock
Sea-Going Fool!

It's dark out, we are having a soft Florida rain, and the big boat has started to move. I have managed to get oriented to the ship and even slipped in a good nap while waiting on my suitcases to arrive - which they eventually did. (I have a theory that they deliver to the cheap rooms last. Capitalist swine!)

We had the obligatory lifeboat drill this afternoon, which the cruise ships have mercifully begun conducting sans life vests. I'm not too worried about ice bergs in the Caribbean, but I guess that it is possible that we could get rammed by another cruise ship. (If that happens, you read it here first!)

I caught up with one of the ship's officers after the drill and asked my wise-ass question for the day. "Excuse me, Admiral," I said, "but have your lifeboats ever been in the water?" To my utter amazement he told me that they had. He said they are required to put them all in the water once a week and sail them around the ship. That is supposed to happen in either St. Thomas or Puerto Rico, and I will, of course, be on hand to see if I can snag a ride! Cheap thrills!

After the drill I wandered off looking for the reception room where The Nation was handing out name tags and paraphernalia related to the educational aspects of the voyage. As I was roaming rather aimlessly I happened into the magazine's editor-in-chief, Katrina Vanden Heuvel, who led me to my destination. She looks exactly like she does on television when she is trying to talk over one of Chris Matthews' boorish rants, except that she is surprisingly skinny. Nice lady.

My wise-ass question for tomorrow will be to ask Ms. Vanden Heuvel if Chris Matthews is the blithering idiot that he appears to be on television. Will I get an honest answer? Stay tuned. You will learn it here first!

Tomorrow will be a day at sea, and we will dock at Grand Turk on Monday.

No comments: