Thursday, December 22, 2022

Santa in a Skirt!

 
by Pa Rock
Big Elf

I have had numerous encounters with Santa Claus over my seventy-four years on this planet, but only a few of those were truly memorable.  Many years ago I helped Santa by posing as him in full Santa garb at a local grocery store while a friend snapped photos of Santa (me) talking to kids about what they wanted for Christmas.  A highlight of that adventure was when my oldest on, Nick, who was about two-years-old, climbed onto my lap to discuss his presents - and didn't recognize me!

Another Santa encounter that I remember well was when a friend and I did a holiday tour of Vietnam in 2011-2012.   We landed in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) on the afternoon of Christmas Eve in 2011, and by the time we cleared customs and got into the city it was already dark.  After settling into our hotel rooms, we decided to get out and walk around the city - which had a very Christmassy and capitalistic air about it.  It was there, on the extremely busy streets of Old Saigon, where we encountered Santa.  He was dressed in full Santa regalia and ringing a bell while standing in front of a store that sold high-end luggage and apparel.   Santa was also very, very drunk - and he was having a great time!  It was then that I knew Uncle Ho had failed in his attempt to turn Vietnam into a truly communist nation.  A drunken Santa was an enduring reminder of the staying power of capitalism!

Yesterday I encountered yet another Santa Claus who will be difficult to ever forget.  I had a doctor's appointment in Springfield, Missouri, but arrived early enough to allow for some Christmas shopping at a favorite warehouse discount store.  While there I encountered Santa a couple of times as he was also shopping.   Instead of being a plump, jolly character with long, white, wavy hair and a full beard, this Santa had thin features, no padding, long strands of thin, blondish-gray hair, and a scraggly beard.

But he did have on a Santa cap, so I knew it was him.  He was also wearing a red Santa jacket, a clean white shirt and a red, plaid, pleated skirt.  (Okay, it could have been a kilt - but since he wasn't carrying bagpipes, I decided that it likely was a skirt!)   Anyway, that Santa made a lasting impression - whether he intended to or not!

Today finds me safely back home.  The house in warm and cozy - and Rosie is napping by the heater vent while I write tales of memorable Santas - and the weather outside is just becoming icy.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Stay warm and safe!

Merry holidays from Pa Rock and Rosie!

No comments: