Saturday, March 25, 2023

Breakfast with Satan

 
by Pa Rock
Road Warrior


This morning as Rosie and I were preparing to leave Roeland Park, Kansas, for the 277-mile drive back to our home in West Plains, Missouri, we pulled into the McDonald’s that is closest to my son’s home.  It was early, about 7:00 a.m., and there was only one other customer going through the drive-through.  I placed my order through the speaker:  one carton of white milk, one large, unsweet iced tea with extra ice, and one sausage-egg McMuffin.    I didn’t check the prices, but suspected from experience that a ten dollar bill should cover it, so I was pleased when the slow talking youth taking the order said “that will be six dollars . . .”

 

“Sweet,” I thought, anticipating four dollars in change to squander along the long road home.

 

And then the young man added, “and sixty-six cents.”

 

Whoa!   A $6.66 breakfast at the start of a road trip that would last almost five hours!   Should I modify the order and say something like “Make that two milks.”  Or  “Hey sir, please add an apple pie to that order.”  Or, should I just roll with it and stay extra vigilant on the scenic drive down into the Ozarks.

 

As I slowly drove up to the serving window, I made a very calculated decision not to change any of the order and just accept it as it was placed, along with whatever the fates had to offer.  Rosie didn’t seem to mind that she  didn’t get a vote in the matter, but she was appreciative of her share of the sandwich.

 

At the pick-up window I handed the young man behind the voice a ten dollar bill and commented that it was an “interesting total.”  He looked at the ticket and took a moment to figure out what I was talking about – and then he grinned and said, “Our food is good.  I promise.”

 

And it was.  We arrived home safely just minutes after noon.  Of course, within a few more minutes I learned that our internet has been down two days with no way to contact the provider until Monday - and I am as dependent on wifi as some people are with air and water!


Maybe I should have added that apple pie after all!


I blame Trump!


(Post note:  Last night as I sat down at my desk to record my steps for the day into my medical log, I was not the least bit surprised to see that I had walked a total of 8,666 steps that day!  But . . . I has survived the day from hell!)


1 comment:

RANGER BOB said...

Six has always been my favorite number. I consider 666 to be three times better.