Sunday, May 9, 2021

Thoughts on Mothers

 
by Pa Rock
Son, Father, and Grandfather

I always send the parents of my grandchildren cards and a spot of cash on Mother's Day and Father's Day because I understand and appreciate the raw effort and courage that go into successful parenting.  Our kids may not always understand the work associated with their raising, but I want my adult "kids" to know that I see and appreciate how well they are taking care of my grandchildren.  Last week the two mothers of my five minor grandchildren happened to be visiting my home at the same time, and I was able to give them their Mother's Day cards early.

Then I spent five days and four nights on the road with those ladies - and one of their husbands - and two of their kids - and "zoom" calls with the other three kids - and I really gained some insight into the complexities of parenting in the modern age.  Raising children is definitely not a job for the faint-of-heart!

Today is, of course, Mother's Day.  President Woodrow Wilson declared the second Sunday in May to be set aside as a day honoring our nation's mothers back in 1914, and over the ensuing years it has become one of our most cherished holidays.  

My own mother, who was born a century ago this coming July 14th, was one of the new generation of mothers to come along after World War II.  She was part of the group that not only nurtured nd raised children, but also went to work in order to bring more income into the family and provide for more material things in life.  Those moms were expected to be the complete parents that their mothers had been, and bring home a paycheck to boot!

And to do it all without complaining!

I remember that my mother struggled to set aside time for herself.    After taking care of everything else in the household, she would sit in front of the television late at night and crochet doilies or sew pattern blocks for quilts until the television stations signed off for the day.  Then, a few hours later, she would be in the restaurant that she and her sister operated making breakfast for the truckers.

My mom would always claim the heels out of a loaf of bread, stating they were her favorites, and when she fried a chicken she would take the back for herself, also saying that it was her favorite.  It wasn't until I was grown that I realized she was dining on the scraps so that the rest of the family could enjoy the good parts.

I wish that I could go back in time and talk to my mom again - and tell her that now I recognize the sacrifices that she made for my sister and me, but that is no longer possible.  So for now I will just be content letting my children know that I see and appreciate all that they do to raise my grandchildren and give them a safe and healthy start ln life.

We can't reach back and change things, but we can cast a few smiles into the future.

Happy Mother's Day, America!

No comments: