Thursday, May 27, 2021

Nice Shoes

 
by Pa Rock
Careful Shopper

Being a diabetic, I have to take special care of my feet.  I pay close attention to each foot as I shower, making concentrated efforts to scrub between the toes and rinse and dry well.  I have foot powder that I use, especially during damp or humid conditions, I keep my toenails clipped, and I wear good shoes that will protect my feet.

Foot care has become more difficult as I have gotten older and wider, but its importance increases with age and I attempt to give the matter my full attention.  For the past few years I had my toenails clipped on a monthly basis at a special clinic at our local senior center, but then the pandemic closed the senior center and I feared that I would have to  begin doing the chore myself - and it was a chore, both getting down to the level where I could actually see what I was doing, and tackling the nails on my two big toes which bear a strong resemblance to horses' hooves.

But about the time the senior center closed, my local health clinic brought a podiatrist on staff - and a relative told me that her podiatrist clipped toenails - and that Medicare picked up the bill.   After learning that this young doctor would also clip toenails of diabetic Medicare patients, I signed up and have been seeing him for that service ever since.  (Of course the good doctor also examines my antique feet while he is clipping the nails.).   He will only provide this service once every three months, but I can make that work.

When I arrive at the podiatrist's office, his nurse puts me in a special lift chair and raises me up to where the doctor can get at my feet without bending over.  Because of that airborne position, I could not reach my feet even if I had a mind to, so the doctor very graciously puts my socks and shoes back on my feet when he is finished.  

I have three pairs of shoes that I wear most often.  One pair is for mowing, one pair is for general wear around the house and on trips to town, and one nicer pair is for formal activities.  I wear the better pair on doctor visits.  The first time I visited the foot doctor here locally, as he was putting my shoes back on my feet, he suddenly stopped and took a closer look - and then said, "Hey, these are really nice shoes."  This past week, on about my fourth visit to his office, the podiatrist again commented on my "nice shoes."

I bought my "nice shoes" a few years ago on a visit to see my grandchildren in Salem, Oregon.  It was a rainy afternoon and my grandchildren wanted to go exploring in the "Good Will" store that is close to their house.  It is a very large store with a nice assortment of merchandize and clothing.  While we were there, I wandered through the shoe section and came across a pair of good-looking, hand-sewn leather shoes that had been made in Vietnam.  They were my size, and when I tried them on I was pleased to see that they fit absolutely perfectly - and were unbelievably comfortable!   And while I considered the price of twelve dollars to be a bit steep, especially for "used" shoes, I decided to take the plunge anyway.   They were - and are - very nice shoes!

Today those nice shoes are the mainstay of my wardrobe.  I keep them under the bed so that if the house catches fire during the nighttime, I will know exactly where to reach for them as I roll out of bed and head for the door!

I know some people may feel that I am putting on airs, but there is nothing wrong with having a few nice things in life!

Special feet need nice shoes!

No comments: