Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Signs of Spring

 
by Pa Rock
Farmer in Spring

My very big yard was neatly trimmed and looking really nice when we drove off for North Carolina last Thursday morning, but by the time of our return yesterday evening it had grown considerably.  Now the grass is more than ready to be cut again, and perhaps even baled!  My son said that it rained every day I was gone.  It's rainy today, but Alexa has informed me that the sun could possibly come out tomorrow.

So I will back the mower out of the garage and get back at it.

I made a hurried trip to Mountain Home, Arkansas, for a doctor's appointment this morning.  Everything along the way was green and overgrown.  The dogwoods have finished blooming.  I saw two old structures that had collapsed since my last trip down that way two weeks ago.  I suspect the steady rains did them in.  The creeks are all rising, but so far there is no serious flooding.  

But flooding happens, especially in the spring, and so do tornadoes.

The armadillos are starting to venture out from their winter digs.  I saw two dead ones along the Ozark roadways today - and two live terrapins.  The ground hogs at the farm are out and foraging, the deer gather at the pond right at dusk to lick the salt block and swap deer stories, and the birds are busy nesting.  Everything, it would seem, is ready to put winter in the rearview mirror!

And so am I!

No comments: