Saturday, February 2, 2019

Ground Hog Day in Kansas

by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

It's a mucky, overcast, drizzly Ground Hog day in Kansas, the kind of day when a ground hog would be lucky to see his own feet, much less his shadow.  And the lack of a shadow means that spring is just around the corner.  But Alexa is letting us know that it may snow here next week - and even down in the hills and hollers of southern Missouri where I live the ground could get white around Thursday.

Tim and I drove over to Lawrence today so that I could refresh my memory of the university town - and it hasn't changed all that much since I lived in nearby Leavenworth fourteen years ago.  We also looked at a few houses just in case I get the urge to sell the farm and move back into civilization.  (I get that urge several times a week!)

There was one place that caught my eye, a small, older home on a big lot with an abundance of old trees.  I spoke with a neighbor who told me that it was a low crime and low noise area with two cops living on the street. She also mentioned that there were no children - and she seemed especially pleased to see an old coot bachelor interested in the place.  I'm mulling a few things this evening and may go back for an Open House tomorrow.

Apparently many deer frequent the neighborhood and most of the neighbors set out salt blocks and deer feed.  Rosie and I like deer!

All of the homes were seriously over-priced in Lawrence, with remodeled garden sheds going for six figures.

Quantrill and his raiders rode over from Missouri and burned Lawrence to the ground a century and a half ago, but it has come back in grand form.  Today, as home to the University of Kansas, Lawrence is a Mecca for culture and enlightened thought.  Tim commented as we were leaving that he didn't see a Trump sticker or sign the whole time we were there - so it is probably my kind place!

(If anyone reading this is lusting after a small farm with a solid house and a new metal roof - on ten acres in the beautiful Missouri Ozarks - this would be the time to drop Pa Rock a note of inquiry.)

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Lawrence enjoys being represented in the Kansas Legislature by some mighty fine folk. The bulk of the city is represented by Dennis "Boog" Highberger and the western edge by Barbara Ballard. If I remember right their State Senator is Tom Holland from Baldwin City. All very fine folk indeed.