Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Preparing to Hit the Oregon Trail

by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

I have finally begun making a few preparations for the road trip to Oregon that Boone (my grandson) and I will embark on Friday sometime before noon.   I have packed snacks (and a few clothes), organized my meds and gotten all of the necessary refills, and cleaned the car inside and out.  Everything that my chicken-sitters and plant-watchers need is in place.

I also have my clothes selected for the Cher concert this Saturday night in Kansas City.  This will probably be the only chance that she ever gets to see me, so I want to be looking my best!  (Eighth row, Cher.  Red t-shirt with white lettering that says "Kansas City Power and Light District."  Let me know if you need a ride back to the coast.)

The collection of trinkets, doodads, and gee-haws for my other four grandchildren, all of whom we will see on this trip, is quickly getting organized.  Olive, Sebastian, Judah, and Willow - Pa Rock and Boone are on the way - almost!

I bought a road atlas this morning - a steal at just ten dollars!  (Yes, Sheldon, that is sarcasm!)  I buy an atlas every time I take a major trip because I can never find my other atlases.  Someday there will be a special table just for atlases at my estate sale!

I'm not dreading the drive - what could possibly happen on the Oregon Trail?   In fact, I like to be out on the road.  I would have probably made an adequate over-the-road trucker - and I definitely know the value of eating at busy truck stops.  There's a reason they are busy!  If Boone wants to go someplace next summer, he will be sixteen and able to help with the driving.  That is something to look forward to!

But for this year, we're Oregon bound.  And as they say in St. Joe, "Westward ho!"

No comments: