Friday, March 23, 2012

Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Feed Me?

by Pa Rock
Birthday Boy


That's right, it's my birthday - the fourth that I have celebrated on Okinawa - #24, #25, #63, and now #64.  I have had a wonderful day, and indeed, a wonderful week!  Dinner with friends last weekend, lots of prezzies and warm wishes from friends today, and tomorrow night several people from work are meeting at the bowling alley on Kadena to continue the celebration.  Getting old has its perks.

I also had the very good fortune of hearing from all of my children today.

Good friend Rose Maxam from college days sent me a YouTube clip of the Beatles singing "When I'm Sixty-Four."   I have been whistling that song all week.  The clip is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGtSpsYURAQ&feature=email    Thanks, Rose!

And here, just for grins, are the lyrics:


When I'm Sixty-Four
by The Beatles


When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oooo
You'll be older too, (ah ah ah ah ah)
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

I could be handy mending a fuse
When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride.

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too drear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck, and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, Wasting Away.

Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four? 





1 comment:

Don said...

Three years ago, when my family used that same Beatles tune to celebrate my ascendancy, I realized that there's less to living than meets the eye.