Saturday, April 23, 2011

Marine Corps Humor

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist


This Saturday started off rainy on the island of Okinawa, but has fortunately cleared into a sunny and pleasant afternoon.

I have already made two trips across the highway to the Marine Corps Camp Foster - first to the PX where I did some unnecessary shopping while a friend got her toes and eyebrows attended to.  I left there with two shirts, a book, and a large padded enveloped that I later used to send my grandson a package for his birthday.  The second trip was to the post office at Camp Foster where I mailed off that package and a couple of cards to my daughter and daughter-in-law.

(Occasionally I get this spastic/palsy thing going with my hands that makes it almost impossible for me to write legibly, and today, unfortunately, was one of those days.  I tried very hard, but the cards to the girls went out looking like the worst efforts of the quickest kid in the kindergarten class!  Self diagnosis:  too much caffeine.)

It was during the trip to the post office that I observed a gem of Marine Corps humor.  A sign was posted next to the service counter that featured a drawing of a marine in full battle rattle along with the following statement:  "Nobody goes postal like a marine!"

Tonight two friends and I are headed to Camp Foster for dinner at the Macaroni Grill followed by a play.  A troupe of local players are putting on a post-modern production entitled 100 Lunches.  I am really looking forward to that cultural outing.

No comments: