Saturday, October 17, 2009

Arizona Theatre Company

by Pa Rock
Patron of the Arts

Yes, it's true. If you live in the Valley of Hell long enough, you are bound to discover a few positives. For me, the primary benefit of hunkering down in the sand along with the scorpions and rattlesnakes is the abundance of really good theatre. No, not the cineplexes, but real, honest-to-God theatre. Since getting stuck here in the desert, I have been to several performances at the Stray Cat Theatre, mostly off-beat and always entertaining, and one unforgettable production at the Nearly Naked Theatre that left nothing to the imagination! I have also been to some wonderful productions at the Phoenix Theatre. I get fliers in the mail and email updates from all of these organizations, and try to take in a show every couple of months.

Last spring I saw an outstanding production of "A Raisin in the Sun" that was put on by the Arizona Theatre Company. It was one of the two best that I have seen in Arizona - the other being "Les Miserables" as performed by the Phoenix Theatre.

I mention all of this because early this morning just as my mental cylinders were beginning to fire, a young lady from the Arizona Theatre Company telephoned and asked if I had enjoyed "A Raisin in the Sun." It was a nice ice-breaker, guaranteed to draw me into dangerous chit-chat. Before I knew it, she had sold me a season's pass to the ATC productions for this year - six shows with great seats.

One week from tonight I will be enjoying "The Kite Runner." In November the fare is an Elaine May comedy / mystery entitled "George is Dead." Marlo Thomas will star in that production. (Wouldn't it be great to sit next to Phil Donahue and give him hell for supporting Ralph Nader in 2004!) The Fats Waller Musical, "Ain't Misbehavin'," will be performed in early January at the ATC. The February showcase will be a play entitled "Title of Show," focusing on two songwriters who are writing a play about two songwriters. Tennessee Williams' "The Glass Menagerie" will take the stage in April, and the season closes out in May with Chicago's Second City comedy troupe in a performance specifically crafted for the Cactus State that is aptly titled "The Second City Does Arizona, or Close, But No Saguaro." That should be an especially fun night!

As is my annoying habit, I will be reviewing each of these productions in this space the morning after. So, if you can't be there, don't worry. Pa Rock has got you covered!

1 comment:

kittyknitter said...

All the plays sound wonderful! There is a playhouse in Fayetteville, NC, where we used to be season ticket holders. They had wonderful plays. I certainly miss that. I know you will enjoy them all!