Monday, June 22, 2009

What's the Point?

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

It's hard for me to keep a straight face as I navigate the aisles of modern grocery stores. I had some free time on my hands yesterday and headed up the road to get some canned chili and other bachelor foodstuffs. This time, because I was in no rush, I decided to explore each of the thirty or so aisles. One of the things that amazed me most was the small amount space actually used to shelve groceries. The place was a veritable warehouse of furniture, plants and planters, cleaning supplies, paper products, health and beauty aids, light bulbs, magazines, books, toys, clothing, liquor, and tobacco. Groceries seemed to almost be a merchandising afterthought.

But it is the shopping habits of others - those not focusing on canned chili - that really amuse me. The lady who was in front of me checking out last night had a few standard food staples, but her order also included a two packages of vanilla Oreos.

What is the point of vanilla Oreos? Do you dunk them in chocolate milk? Or perhaps wash them down with caffeine-free diet soda - another pointless product!

Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments: