Thursday, January 8, 2009

Emme Ears
31 October 1993 - 8 January 2009

by Pa Rock
Obituariest

Little Emme (pronounced "Emmie"), known by all who loved her as "Emme Ears" was a beautiful long-haired chihuahua whose large pointy ears gave her an uncanny resemblance to the gremlins of movie fame. She was born in Neosho, Missouri, and passed away peacefully today in Aurora, Colorado.

I first met Emme about this time of year in 1994 when my girlfriend at the time, Susan, had me drive her out to a chihuahua breeder's house "just to look." The place was crazy. Several hundred of the little rat-like critters were running in and out of the house through doggie doors and wire chutes. They were all excited that company had shown up "just to look" at them! Emme was one of the few longhairs in the herd. She separated herself from the mayhem and walked over to introduce herself to us - and the looking was over!

Emme was the fifth born in a litter of five. She was the runt of the litter - a "teacup." The breeders had a practice of naming the dogs alphabetically by order of birth, so her original name was "Earma" in deference to her big, but cute, ears. Susan didn't like that name, and renamed her "Susan's Sweet Emme Baby" on her pedigree papers, and called her "Emme" or "Emme Ears" for short.

I was a person who didn't believe in having pets in the house, but the first time Emme decided to wash my face with her tongue, she won my heart. We were the very best of friends until her Mama married someone else and moved off to Colorado.

Susan called me this morning to tell me of Emme's passing. She was fifteen-years-old, or 105 in dog years. She had quietly slipped into little-old-ladyhood, but to me she will always my happy tail-wagging, face-licking, warm-hearted little friend. My sincerest condolences go out to Emme's Mama.

No comments: