Monday, August 3, 2026

Summer Vacation

 
by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

Rosie and I are on the road today as I start my official summer vacation and she comes along for the ride.  The last two summers I have taken big driving excursions to Oregon, once across Canada and back through the Nebraska route and the second time through Kansas to Colorado and up - and back the same way. (Poor. Rosie had to stay behind both times.)   Lots of miles, motels, road food, and expense, but at least I avoided the humiliation and brutality of flying.  

Those two previous vacations lasted a little less than three weeks each.  This vacation is simpler.  This time we are going to the home of the Macys in Roeland Park, Kansas, where we will spend two nights - and then turn around and come home - but it will be more action-packed than it sounds - at least for me.    Rosie will be at home in the evenings dealing with Jack the dog and two cats, while I will be out gadding about with Tim and Erin and Olive and Sully.  We are going to an IMAX theatre this evening to see "The Odyssey" on a really big screen.  It will be my first trip to an IMAX and the first time I have been in a movie theatre since before the pandemic.  (Is popcorn still a dollar a bag?  Guess I'll find out tonight!)

And tomorrow night we are headed out, again as a family but without the pets, to the beautiful Starlight Theatre, an historic outdoor venue that is one of my favorite places in the Great Midwest, to see a staged version of Monty Python's "Spamalot" - which I have never seen - and I think it will be a new experience for the others as well.

My summer vacation will end on Wednesday when Rosie and I make the long drive home, and Sully and Olive will end theirs when school begins - either next week or the week after, I'm not sure.  Then, when we are all out of the way, Tim and Erin can put their feet up at home and enjoy a "staycation."

Have a great rest of the summer!

No comments: