Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Company's Coming!

 
by Pa Rock
El Viejo Loco

It's going to be scorching hot in the Missouri Ozarks today with temperatures topping out at near 100 degrees F.  The forecast for the past several days has been sunshine and hot with a chance of thundershowers, and that is today's prediction as well.  Yesterday we had a couple of quick, heavy showers in the heat of the afternoon that lasted around fifteen minutes, enough water that I didn't feel the need to carry water to the birdbath and two outdoor hanging baskets this morning.   But, if there is no rain today, I am certain to be lugging a water bucket late this evening.

Later this morning my son, Tim, and his children, Sully (10) and Olive (14), will be arriving from their home in the Kansas City area for an overnight visit.  Mama Erin is staying home for work and to give the others a chance to get out and run around!  Gypsy goes berserk when Sully is here, so in a couple of hours the house with be rockin'!   One of their reasons for coming is to give Sully an opportunity to fish with his Dad and Uncle Nick.  Olive and I should be able to find plenty to do while the others are fishing.  I don't think she's seen West Plains' new overpass yet!

Tim and Sully came to fish a couple of months ago and while they were here Tim got us hooked up to Apple TV to see a show that he ws enjoying.  Since that hookup I've discovered several excellent programs on Apple which are keeping me entertained.  Over the next few days I may use this blog to share my thoughts and observations on "Widow's Bay," "Ted Lasso," "Sugar," and "Slow Horses"  -  four easy excuses to stay in out of the heat!

Today is primary election day in Arizona.  Most people in the "Scorpion State" vote by mail, so the significance of election day is that it is when the ballots are due back.  I miss Arizona politics  - almost as much as I miss the unrelenting, deadly heat of Phoenix!   (Actually, the only thing I really do miss about Arizona is "El Pollo Loco."  I wish someone would open a franchise in West Plains, Missour - perhaps near our new overpass!)

Stay cool - and hydrated - and take a kid fishsing if you get the opportunity!

No comments: