Thursday, June 16, 2022

The Horrors of Coming Home

 

by Pa Rock
Humanoid

Okay, this first thing was absolutely my fault.  I came home today - a day earlier than expected because I was worried my outdoor plants would die if I wasn't around to personally carry water to them, and I was concerned that the five surviving baby guineas would need my moral support and encouragement.  Upon my return, all was fine - but my oldest son had locked the back door and left.  That was at about 12:30 p.m. and it. it now after 3:00 p.m. and he has still not returned - which is also fine.

But, I have no key and have not locked my house in years.  Apparently my son has a key.  In frustration I pushed on the back door, not awfully hard - and it opened - taking out a good part of the interior door frame.  My next job is to find a carpenter!

Then I tried to get on the internet with my new computer, and, of course, I had to jump through all of the hoops in an effort to connect the new machine to my existing internet service, and, of course, it would be a  cold day in June before that would happen without complications.  I had all of the necessary passwords and numbers from the bottom of the modem, but still could not connect.  I finally gave up and called my internet provider, Century Link, but the best I ever managed there was a connection to a mechanical "chat" service that wanted to give me possible reasons for my call, but definitely did not want any extraneous input from me.

Then I called Tim, and he walked me back through everything that I had tried so far - and it was another failure.  Then as we were about to try something different, my phone went dead, and I had a helluva time getting it connected to a charger.  Finally Tim and I were able to talk again, and Plan B did not work either.

Now I am typing at my old computer, and it is blacking out.  

The following advice is respectfully submitted to the dozen or so people who read this rant:  Always carry a key to your house, and NEVER EVER do business with Century Link!


2 comments:

RANGER BOB said...

And the good news is that the baby guineas and the plants are all OK. Keep perspective.

Pa Rock said...

Some days you're the windshield - and some days you're the bug. Lately I have been the bug. That's my perspective!