Thursday, June 2, 2022

Me and My Kia Celebrate Our Anniversary

 
by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

This past Tuesday, May 31st, I received an email from the Kia agency in Shawnee Mission, Kansas, where I purchased where my South Korean automobile.  The email congratulated me and my Kia on our one-year anniversary.

My Kia Soul wasn't new.  It was (and is) a 2020 model that had been sold new in Joplin and then repossessed. I don't remember the exact mileage, but it had 18,000 miles and change when I brought it back to Missouri.  During our first year together I have made a half-dozen trips back to the Kansas City area (550 round-trip miles each plus whatever driving I did while I was there), a couple of trips to northwest Arkansas (500 round trip miles each), and a few jaunts to Springfield for doctor's visits at 200 miles per.  And even with those excursions, the Kia still has had less than 10,000 miles added to the odometer during that the year.

So I don't drive much.  There are weeks, in fact, when the little car never leaves the driveway.

The Kia agency used their anniversary email to invite me in to have the car serviced and said I could get thirty dollars off on accessories.   The next day I received an email from Kia suggesting that it might be time to come in and check out the new models.  (Did they think I had worn the last one out in just a year?)  They obviously don't have an accurate customer profile of me, because there were over 200,000 miles on each of my last three cars when I finally let them go.  And at 10,000 miles per year, it could take me seventeen years to hit that mark with this car.

That would make me ninety-one when the time for the next trade-in comes around.  By then I should have enough money set aside for a fancy electric vehicle - like a Ford 150 pickem-up truck or one of those ultra-cool battery-powered VW buses!  Heck, by then, we will undoubtedly have solar-powered cars, so I may go that route!

But, in the meantime, thanks for the anniversary reminder, Kia - and next year if you would like to send a gift, that would be fine, too!

2 comments:

Ranger Bob said...

I used to have a Hyundai. Whenever I had a problem with it, I would shake my fist at it and curse the North Korean who slipped over the border and broke into the Hyundai plant to screw with my car's engine. That bastard is still laughing. I'm sure that Kia has a better night watchman than Hyundai did, so your car is probably OK.

Pa Rock said...

I actually rode past the Kia factory in Seoul one day about a dozen years ago. It's huge - probably covers more ground than my hometown in Missouri!!