Thursday, February 10, 2022

My Happy App

 
by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

I had a nice drive to Mountain Home, Arkansas, this morning for my six-month visit to the dermatologist.  He carefully scanned by aging flesh and announced me good to go for another six months.  This was the first visit in several years where he did not "freeze off" some bothersome growths, or, worse yet, do some surgical snipping.

So I hauled by baggy carcass out of his office around eleven a.m. and headed home, a fifty-five mile drive.  As I left Mountain Home I pulled into the local McDonald's for an iced tea for the road, and while I was at it I picked up a bag of cheeseburgers for lunches.   It was at McDonald's where my internal boiler got fired up for the first time today.

McDonald's - as well as several other local fast food joints - have begun promoting their new "apps" for ordering.  I don't have any of these "apps," and I don't want any.  It's all I can manage to do just to make calls on my telephone, and I don't want to add to the confusion by using the phone to place an order when I am sitting at the damned drive-up window anyway!

I don't know who benefits from me sitting in front of the ordering speaker and tapping my order into the phone instead of just saying it over the speaker.  Does someone save a few steps because of the way that I place an order?  I doubt it, but yet they persist in asking me, over the speaker, if I will be using my "app" today.

And not only do the McDonald's employees sound disappointed in me personally when I tell them my order instead of tapping it in, they also reward the youngsters who possess these wonderful "apps" with special food deals - clearly a case of age discrimination!

There's a nice looking little cafe just down the road from that particular Macky-D's, and when that cafe puts in a drive-up ordering window, if it ever does, McDonald's can kiss my happy "app" goodbye!

No comments: