Saturday, March 13, 2021

Pa Rock and Rosie Take a Road Trip!

by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

Rosie and I are in the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City, our first trip up this way since late January of 2020.  Of course we had no idea when we drove out of town that last time that it would be so long until our next visit.   But America is starting to get vaccinated, I've had my shots, and here we are!

The drive up yesterday wasn't much fun.  We ran into heavy rain around Mountain Grove, Missouri, and drove through more or less steady rain until we reached Peculiar, Missouri - which is a suburb of Kansas City.  And, because it had been so long since I have made the drive, I managed to miss a turn in Springfield that cost us about an extra fifteen minutes on the road.  Potty breaks were also difficult, especially for Rosie who is no fan of going in the rain!

The only thing of interest that we saw on the drive up was a horse-drawn wagon with an Amish couple racing like hell along the side of the road to reach cover.  They were about a half-mile south of the famous Osceola Cheese Store and tour-bus-trap south of Clinton, a place that sells many fine Amish cheeses, jellies, and jams, so I'm sure the couple found sanctuary there - though the poor horse probably did not!

The big news from the trip so far is that I got a haircut, my first in fourteen months.  Tim took me to a "Great Clips," and a very nice lady got out her pruning shears and went to work.  By the time she finished there was enough gray hair on the floor to stuff a throw pillow!     Haircuts are great - I may get another one next year!  (And it's a painless way to lose weight!)

There was a political science professor at Southwest Missouri State years ago who would use this question in one of his exams in the intro course:  The capital of Missouri is  A. Kansas City.   B. St. Louis    C.  Jefferson City   D. Peculiar  - and he accepted "C" or "D'" as correct.  That's just more proof that some things never change!

Costco today - and probably more rain!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw a photo of you not long ago. I hope you tipped your barber well. LOL

Pa Rock said...

They were having a sale. Haircuts were $7.99 - and I tipped her $4.00 = 50%! (And, yes, it was still a bargain!)

Xobekim said...

Did you notice those new highly visible street signs ine Roeland Park?

Xobekim said...

Did you notice those new highly visible street signs ine Roeland Park?