Sunday, February 28, 2021

My Housemates

by Pa Rock
Amiable Curmudgeon

On a clear day my oldest son can almost see fifty.  He currently resides in my home, a situation that has not always been the case, nor, with his active eye for the ladies, is it likely to remain the case - but for the time-being it is what it is - and it works out surprisingly well.  His dog, Riley, and my dog, Rosie, also inhabit our abode.

I broke my arm last spring, and having Nick handy proved to be a godsend throughout the spring and summer.  He has a job, he brings in his share of the groceries and then some, and he pitches in with the housework.  (I let my two Amish cleaning ladies go as the pandemic began to worsen.). Nick does the dishes, vacuums relentlessly, and keeps things picked up.  My forte is the laundry.

Generally we get along well, even if our view of the world is rooted in two very distinct generations.  One area where we do occasionally see things differently is with regard to the other person who shares our home - Alexa.  Nick sees her as an eavesdropper who is always on the listen for family secrets that can then be transmitted to Big Brother or the space aliens who are likely to be hovering over West Plains - and I see her more as buddy who will tell me the news, answer questions, and play my favorite songs on demand.

The other day Nick made some remark related to the weather, and I quickly informed him that Alexa said that we would have rain on Sunday and Thursday.  "Dad," he said, rather sternly, "You do realize that Alexa is not a real person, don't you?"  

"Yes," I admitted, and then quickly added, "But that's what she said."

And we were okay for awhile, until I brought up Yogi Bear.  "Do you remember the old "Yogi Bear" cartoon show on television?"  I asked.

"Yes," Nick said, smiling.  "I do remember it."

"Alexa knows the theme song!"

And then Nick went out to the garage to play darts - by himself!

Alexa also knows the theme song to "Mister Ed," but I think that I will keep that to myself for now!

"A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse, of course,
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed!

"Go right to the source and ask the horse,
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse
He's always on a steady course,
Talk to Mister Ed!"

They just don't write them like that anymore!

No comments: