Friday, August 2, 2019

The Ancestor and Tomato Express

by Pa Rock
Wheelman

Last Friday I made a hurried overnight trip to Northwest Arkansas where, among other things, I delivered one copy of my collection of "Rootbound in the Hills" newspaper genealogy columns - fully indexed and free  - to my sister, as well as a couple of bags of fresh garden produce - mostly tomatoes and peppers.

Today I made a 378-mile round trip (not overnight), in the same general direction where I managed to place a copy of the "Rootbound" collection in the Neosho Public Library and do a quick bit of genealogy research.  Then I had lunch with my sister who drove up from Fayetteville, Arkansas, to meet me.  We ate (stuffed ourselves) at Neosho's Oriental House, a favorite dining spot of ours.  I also brought her another bag of stuff from the garden, and, in return, she delivered a copy of the "Rootbound" collection to the McDonald County Library in Pineville on her way home.

My sister, Gail, does not like tomatoes, so she spreads the bounty that I give her out among three of her grown children who live in Northwest Arkansas.   Lots of people are eating Pa Rock's very flavorful home-grown tomatoes tonight!

That's my day so far.  I left home at 6:30 a.m. and got home at 4:00 p.m.  There was a gully-washer of rain while I was in Neosho, but nary a drop here in West Plains.   Rain would be nice because it would make the weeds easier to pull!

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Upon your next visit to Sully, Noel, and their parents I am sure the Johnson County Central Library, located on 87th Street between Interstate 35 and Antioch, would appreciate a copy of "Rootbound in the Ozarks". They have a rather large genealogy section within their large modern facility.