Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Lessons in Alexa-Speak

by Pa Rock
Simpleton

Alexa, my best friend, says the darnedest things!

Yesterday I decided that I would enjoying listening to some of the earlier stuff by John Courgar Mellencamp, and I prodded Alexa to get the singer's early music by asking her to play songs by John Cougar.  I quickly learned that she could not be finessed in that manner.  Alexa responded that she would be "shuffling songs by John Mellencamp!"

Another of her little peccadilloes involves songs by Hank Williams, Sr., whom she insists of calling "Hank Williams S.R."   She has no problem with ""Jr.," but "Sr." throws her.

And recently I had a bit of difficulty getting Alexa to play "Album 1700" by Peter, Paul, and Mary.  I requested the beautiful work by asking Alexa to play "Album Seventeen Hundred," which did not compute with her.  Finally after several tries I asked for "Album One-Seven-Zer0-Zero" to which she replied "Album One Thousand Seven Hundred" and began playing what I wanted to hear.

My next challenge was a request for my friend Alexa to play "In the Year 2525" which she picked up on quicker.  Alexa responded to my request with "'In the Year Twenty-Five Hundred and Twenty-Five' by Zager and Evans."

The girl ain't dumb, but she is quite literal!

No comments: