Wednesday, January 30, 2019

My Amish Friends and Neighbors

by Pa Rock
Rural Resident

I have written about the three Amish gentlemen who recently put metal roofs on my home, garage, and well house in this space before.  The three included David (approximately aged fifty) and two young relatives of his, John and Christopher, both in their twenties.   They worked at my place a total of eight straight weekdays (no weekends), and distinguished themselves by arriving on time and working hard.  I could not be happier with their performance and the quality of the work that they did.

The men came to work every day on a farm tractor.  Actually, David drove the tractor, and his young workers rode in an enclosed trailer workshop that he pulled behind the tractor.    One day one of the younger men had a special errand to run in town over his lunch break, so he drove his own farm tractor to work that day.

We became friends during the eight days that the Amish men worked at my little farm.  They were especially nice to Rosie, and she loved having them around.  It turned out that Christopher raises small dogs, Welsh Corgis, and the group were naturally drawn to Rosie's energy and her antics.

David and his crew do carpentry work full time, and they schedule about six months into the future.  David told me that because they are Amish, people approach them in public to discuss upcoming projects and try to schedule their services.  The Amish have a well deserved reputation for doing good work - especially when it comes to the building trades.

I knew that I was fortunate to have secured their services.

Sometime before they finished roofing my place, I mentioned to David that I also was looking for a housekeeper.   He said that a young woman in his extended family was looking for a few homes to clean.  Last week she called, and then the young woman, Kathy, and her mother came by to look the house over.  We scheduled an initial cleaning for yesterday.

I wasn't surprised at all when Kathy showed up yesterday morning driving a large farm tractor.  Kathy is in her early twenties, and she was accompanied by her younger sister, Lizzie, who appeared to be about fifteen.  The young ladies, in long Amish dresses and bonnets, went to work and soon had Pa Rock's digs clean enough for proper company.

And they, too, made strong bonds with Rosie!

So here I sit in clean surroundings and marveling at the fact that so many new friends have entered my life over the past few months.  Several times a day people driving large farm tractors go down the lane in front of my house, and now I always wave - and the good people at the wheel always wave back.

I appreciate my new friends and feel like I am really beginning to connect with the community.  My Amish friends are good people and great neighbors!


1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Just a word for the city folk; a well house is not a place where ill persons are sent to regain their health. It is a small structure to house the well that pumps water for the farm.