Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Trump Is Good for Something After All

by Pa Rock
Activist

I've had an interest in politics for as long as I can remember.  I grew up in a post-World War II Republican household and generally considered myself Republican by birthright until college and Richard Nixon came along and altered my view of the world.  Nixon made me a Democrat, and his malevolent influence was so formidable that I have basically been at home with the Democratic Party for the past half century.

To my young mind Richard Nixon represented the absolute bottom rung of political decency, and his corrupt administration inspired me to get politically active.  I have always voted, but early on I also participated in door-knocking for candidates, hosting campaign events, and even serving on my county's Central Democratic Committee - including one term as the chairman.

As the years piled on, complacency began to settle into my political life, and for the past several election cycles I have limited my activities to writing a few small checks, sporting the occasional yard sign and bumper sticker, and, of course, voting.  Perhaps my drift toward inactivity was due to the fading specter of Nixon - or maybe it was a product of advancing age.   The flame of moral outrage was dimming.

But then along came Trump and that old flame of indignation is once again blazing.

Donald Trump is a waddling reminder of how bad it can get if good people quit paying attention and taking part in government.  He has quickly reset the national agenda to greed, racism, misogyny, homophobia, the destruction of public education, elimination of the social safety net, a bumbling foreign policy, and a bloated military without a clear mission.  He governs by impulse and tweet - and changes positions and priorities faster than a NASCAR pit crew can change a tire.

The fires of outrage that inflamed my youth are once again burning brightly.  Donald John Trump, like Nixon before him, has inspired me to action.  Within the past few weeks I have voted, prepared fifty personalized letters to infrequent voters in Kansas (2nd and 3rd Congressional Districts), and sent donations of $7.77 to more Democratic candidates than fit comfortably in my budget.  I suspect that during the next thirteen days I will come up with a few additional ways to aid the causes of decency and democracy.

No man is completely worthless - because he can always serve as a bad example.  It was true of Richard Nixon, and it's damned sure true of Trump!

Donald Trump has me pissed off and fired up!  He is good for something after all!

Vote, dammit, vote!

1 comment:

Don said...

Consider it done!! Voted 3 hours ago here in Florida.

My guess is that whether or not Trump survives an anmost certain loss of the House, his political legacy will eventually be smeared with a stain that will never ever be expunged.