Friday, January 26, 2018

Parrots a'Plenty!

by Pa Rock
Friend of Animals

One thing that I have been constantly reminded of on this trip is how much I love and miss the animals at Rock's Roost, from the dogs, Rosie and Riley, who are almost human, to the cats, Fiona and her son, Magoo, to the noisy and demanding geese, to the independent peacocks, to the chickens and roosters  (especially little Bobby), to the guineas, and even to the extremely tame deer who would wander into the house if I left the door open too long - all of the creatures at Rock's Roost are family and do their part in making the little farm a home for us all.

I decided early in the visit to Hawaii that I would add a few pigeons to the menagerie at the farm as soon as I get home and unpacked.    These sweet birds like to sit on my arm and eat from my hand.  They are as comfortable with me as I am with them.    Last night, at the luau, I added another critter to my bucket list.   There was a photographer at the event staging pictures with several parrots who seemed to be on his payroll, and I suddenly realized how much I have always wanted to have a parrot.  The fellow had two large blue McCaws, one of which sat on my fist and tried to eat the shell necklace that I was wearing.  He also had a smaller yellow parrot that liked to sit on people's heads while the boss took pictures, a larger green one that layed in cupped hands like a sleeping infant, and a red parrot named Scarlet who basically did whatever she wanted to do.  They are such smart birds!

Also, in just a few weeks is when everybody goes to the local feed stores to place their chick orders.  Pa Rock is thinking spring!

Hawaii has been a blast, but fortunately not one having to do with a North Korean ICBM!  We are flying to Portland later this morning, a city that is proud to be just a little weird!  I always feel right at home in Portland!

Aloha, Hawaii.  Peace and love!

No comments: