Friday, January 5, 2018

Arkansas Muslims Provide Lesson in Christian Charity

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

In the fall of 2016 a young man by the name of Abraham Davis drove a couple of friends to the Masjid Al Salam Mosque in Fort Smith, Arkansas, where they proceeded to vandalize the religious structure by spray-painting hateful messages and swastikas on its exterior.   What the trio of Arkansas good-ol'-boys didn't realize at the time was that the mosque had a security camera which captured their images as they did their dastardly deeds.

Arrest warrants soon followed.

Mr. Davis was regretful of his actions and turned himself in to the police.  He also sent a letter of apology to the mosque.  His words were simple and sincere:

“Dear Masjid Al Salam Mosque,
"I know you guys probably don’t want to hear from me at all but I really want to get this to y’all. I’m so sorry about having a hand in vandalising your mosque. It was wrong and y’all did not deserve to have that done to you. I hurt y’all and I am haunted by it. And even after all this you still forgave me. You are much better people than I.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen to me, and that is honestly really scary. But I just wouldn’t want to keep going on without trying to make amends. I wish I could undo the pain I helped to cause. I used to walk by your mosque a lot and ask myself why I would do that. I don’t even hate Muslims. Or anyone for that matter.
“All in all, I just want to say I’m sorry.”

The worshipers at the mosque were so impressed with the heartfelt apology that they lobbied for a reduced sentence for Abraham Davis.  Regardless of those efforts, he was sentenced to pay $3,200 in fines and restitution.  He managed to come up with $1,500, but remaining debt of $1,700 was beyond his ability.   Mr. Davis was facing a mandatory six years in prison if he could not come up with the balance.

At that point, the members of the  Masjid Al Salam Mosque stepped in and wrote a check for the remainder of the fine.  It was a thoughtful act of Christian charity committed by a group of Arkansas Muslims.

Allah be praised - and Jesus, too!