Sunday, November 20, 2016

To Joplin and Back Again

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

I just arrived home from my second round-trip to Joplin (180 miles each way) in three days.  Today's drive was uneventful with much less traffic than I encountered on Friday.

For those who know James, our friend is still deep in a coma with no visible signs of improvement.  He suffered a stroke on Wednesday morning and has been in the ICU on a ventilator since that time.   His family is constantly at his bedside, and an amazing assortment of friends have shown up to offer comfort and support.

I was telling Patti (James's wife) about my farm animals today, and mentioned Hector the Duck.  When I told her that he was a Cayuga, a nurse who happened to be in the room said, "I used to have a Cayuga.  They're beautiful!"  Yes, they are.  I will pass her compliment on to Hector when I see him in the morning. 

The leaves still remaining in the trees between West Plains and Joplin are all brown now - and almost all of the trashy "Trump / Pence" signs have been taken down.  The Ozarks appear to be settling in for the winter.

No comments: