Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Thor, Bring Down Your Thunder!

by Pa Rock
Country Gent

When I began my quest to find a farm dog, I had several requirements.  First and foremost, the new dog had to be comfortable around poultry.  His primary function, after all, was to protect the domestic fowl at Rock's Roost from predators:  hawks, owls, raccoons, opossums, snakes, and that bloody nuisance of a beagle who lives across the street.  I was looking for a big dog, one who would scare the bejeezus out of hungry nighttime visitors without actually having to engage in mortal combat.  But more important than just being big, I wanted a dog that was loud - one whose bark would shake the trees and rattle the windows.

I knew from my experience of having raised two Great Pyrenees before, the much loved Paladin and Paloma, that the massive breed would meet my requirements, and for the past several months I have scoured the local papers and the internet looking for the perfect enforcer for the farm.  This past Saturday I found that dog - a 10-week-old Great Pyrenees male pup who was ready for a permanent home.

The new dog is adjusting well to the farm.  He is comfortable in the chicken coop and the areas where the birds tend to congregate during the day, and he has explored the property.  He still is relatively small - just twenty or twenty-five pounds at present, but I know that by the end of the summer he will be enormous - probably somewhere north of a hundred pounds.  He eats well!

The new dog still has not found his bark, however.  Rosie, who has begun to warm up to him, is trying to teach him to yap like she does, but his main communication skill is his lingering puppy whimper.

The bark will come, of that I have no doubt, and when it does it will shatter the peace and tranquility of my little sylvan dell.  That is why I have decided to name my new farm pup "Thor," after the Norse god of thunder.   When the mighty Thor brings down his thunder, predators will scatter to the four winds and the neighbors will all rush outside to roll up their car windows!

We are getting ready to rumble at The Roost!

No comments: