Thursday, August 28, 2014

Training the Farmer

by Pa Rock
Chicken Taxi

My chickens are growing - and developing so much personality!

My son was by for awhile this morning, and I just happened to glance at his car while working outside. One of the girls was flapping her wings frantically in the backseat of his car.   This is not a good place to leave car windows down - or doors open.  Chickens are such nosey creatures!

A couple of the girls are beginning to lay eggs.  I get one or two small brown eggs every morning.  I've eaten three so far in a small omelet.  They were so good, much richer and more delicious than the eggs sold in grocery stores.   The difference is amazing.  In another six weeks or so they all should be laying, and the eggs will increase in size as the girls become more experienced producers.

A few weeks ago after I started letting the poultry out during the day, I went out in the evening to shut them up in their pen.   As I was preparing to close the gate, I heard a bit of clucking and fussing in the open garage that sits next to the pen and coop.  I checked it out and found a stray little hen and a turkey that had decided they would prefer roosting in the garage.  I carefully carried each one back to the pen.  The turkey didn't like being carried, and after that he was always where he belonged at lock-down time.  

The hen, however, enjoyed the personal attention.  She clucked contentedly as I carried her over to the pen.  The next night she was right back in the garage waiting for her ride to the coop.  That went on for about two weeks.  But word gets around in the coop, and one night last week there were two hens waiting for me in the garage.  The next night there were three - and last night there were six!  

I am reminded of little kids training their parents to pick up the food that they throw on the floor.  It hasn't taken the girls very long to train me to carry them to the coop each night!

( I hope the next person who gets into the backseat of my son's car checks for eggs before sitting down!)

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

You should buy a wagon to carry the little darlings in. I remember that summer I spent on the farm in Gainesville. One chicken roosted in a poll barn where bales of hay were stacked. I was always amazed the chickens did so well considering the feral cats that resided under the milking barn.