Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday's Poetry: "Let It Be"

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

Last Thursday evening while driving home from a family birthday dinner, I had an epiphany of sorts.  The night was tranquil, and I was driving through the countryside with the windows down listening to the crickets compete with our local oldies radio station.  I wasn't paying to much attention to the music - mostly just watching for deer or other surprises along the dark country lane,  and I had things on my mind.  Then, almost imperceptibly, the Beatles classic, Let It Be, began playing, and that old song took me someplace that I hadn't been in a very long time.

Let it be:  when life gets hard and troubles pile on, just let it be.  An answer will come along.  Maybe it was just the sylvan magic of the evening, or maybe I had never really listened to the words of that old song before - to the point where I absorbed their  meaning, but I was moved - transported well beyond myself and into a much more peaceful place.

The poetry of the late twentieth century is no less wondrous than that of earlier ages - and it is far more memorable because it was set to music.


Let It Be
by Paul McCartney


When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Yeah, let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

When the broken hearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be
For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer, let it be
Yeah, let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
There will be an answer, let it be
Yeah, let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
You know there's gonna be an answer, let it be

And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be
I wake up to the sound of music
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, oh no, let it be, let it be, let it be
There will be an answer, let it be, let it be
You know there's gonna be an answer, let it be
Oh, let it be




1 comment:

Xobekim said...

This song was released on May 8, 1970. Perhaps the deeper meaning didn't occur to us because, as the lyrics suggest, we hadn't yet faced our darkest hours.

Thanks, I opened another tab and listened to the Beatles on YouTube sing the song for the full effect.