Saturday, October 12, 2024

Olive at Thirteen

 
by Pa Rock
Proud Grandpa

I have known all day that it was my oldest granddaughter Olive's 13th birthday, but the thought didn't occur to me until just a few moments ago that I had forgotten to wish her a happy birthday in this blog, like I do for each of my six grandchildren every year.  Olive, that's an 'old age' thing, and I am truly sorry for getting this posted so late in the day.  In fact, darkness is falling as I sit here typing.

Olive is in eighth grade this year and will be entering high school next year at the very tender age of thirteen.  She skipped sixth grade entirely which put her on a faster track educationally.  Don't hurry too fast, Olive.  Life isn't a race, it's an adventure and well worth slowing down to savor along the way.

I did get to see Olive and her little brother, Sully, earlier this week when I visited in their home near Kansas City, but both youngsters are extremely busy and I didn't spend as much time with them as I would have liked.  But I understand the social demands that come with growing up - and especially for a teenager -  and I am glad to see both of them adjusting to school and peers and life beyond the house.

Olive, congratulations on becoming a teenager.   Enjoy eighth grade and all that comes with being in Middle School.  I know you are a good student, and I am very proud of the hard work that you put into school.  I look forward to seeing you and your family in New York City in two weeks!

Happy, happy birthday - with much love from your grandfather, Pa Rock!

No comments: